Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Begining Of My Psoriasis

Sometime in the year 2005 a small circular layer of skin appeared on my scalp. I never really thought anything of it. I had always had bad dandruff and thought that it was maybe just an excess buildup. It would itch really bad but I still didn't think anything of it. One day I showed it to my family and they suggested that I get it checked out by a dermatologist. We had initially thought that it was ring worm because it was formed in such a perfect ring. The day I went to the dermatologist he took a biopsy and a week later I had learned my fate. He told me I had psoriasis. What is Psoriasis you say? According to Psoriasis.org

"Psoriasis is a chronic, noncontagious genetic disease of the immune system that prompts skin cells to regenerate too quickly, causing red, scaly lesions that crack and bleed. It often affects the elbows, knees, scalp and torso but can appear anywhere on the body."

OK that's fine. What do I do to get rid of it? Well according to my dermatologist there is "no known cause, no known cure".

Well that sucks. So he sends me along with two prescriptions for Dovenex and Clobetasol. I start to use the medicines and they burn my scalp but after a couple of weeks it seemed to go away. So I thought nothing of it again even when it came back a couple weeks later. I didn't care it was a small circle on my scalp that itched every now and then and couldn't be seen by anyone. Why should I worry about it, I was 22 at the time and didn't have a care in the world. I wish I would have cared more then.

A year later I began to notice deformities in the growth of my finger nails. I knew from the reading I had done after my diagnosis that this too was the dreaded psoriasis. This caused some degree of embarrassment, as I work at a bank and people often see my hands. Despite this minor blow to my self image, I continued to pay little mind to psoriasis and its role in my health.

A year or two went by and my Psoriasis never really spread. Then One day I started to notice a small legion on my leg. I thought I had scratched my leg earlier in the week and didn't think anything of it. Then all of a sudden its started spreading like wild fire. I honestly can't even remember it happening. It seems like I just woke up one day and it was covering 40% of my body with my legs taking the worst of it. I stopped wearing shorts, was experiencing constant pain and itching. My legs would get so sore I would have to take a bath everyday. For some reason I was still even willing to deal with that much psoriasis. But then one day I noticed it start to spread to my face. That's when I really started to take things seriously. My mental state was going to a bad place. I was calling in sick to work because I would only get an hour of sleep because of the pain I was having.

I needed to do something. My girlfriend Molly and I decided that I should look into prescription drugs. We had been hesitant in the past because of all the horrible side effects that come with these prescriptions. We decided that I would look into one of the biologic drugs. I made an appointment with the dermatologist and was ready to go.

A couple of days before my appointment I was looking through Google news for any info about psoriasis or any new drugs being developed. That's when I read the story about the 5 people in California that died from using Raptiva. I told this to my girlfriend and that's when my life changed. She started doing all the research she possibly could regarding Psoriasis. She read numerous books and articles searching for any solutions. I pretty much sat back and let her do everything and listened to her recommendations.

After doing a lot of research we discovered a lot of people we healing there Psoriasis by just maintaining a healthy diet. This seemed like the safest and most logical course. Molly and I went to see my doctor to tell him what I was going to begin doing. We thought he wopuld be very supportive and guide us in the right direction. Boy were we wrong. For almost an hour he basically scolded us and literally told me that by trying to cure my Psoriasis through diet I was on a
"fools errand". He had my girlfriend in tears because she was starting to lose hope. This doctor was not very creditable though. I told him how I wanted to have all my mercury filings removed and he told me dentists don't use mercury anymore in fillings. I know for a 100% fact that most dentists still use mercury today. I had 2 fillings put in about 3 months ago and I asked my dentist and he confirmed that mercury is still used. When I asked him about the health risks he told me "the jury was still out on that one".

Needles to say I still let him put the mercury in my mouth because it was the cheapest option. Low and behold a week later my Psoriasis spread so rapidly I didn't even know what happened. Do I have proof that mercury fillings cause Psoriasis no but I'm sure it doesn't help. It is one of the most toxic elements on the periodic table, yet we allow this to be shoved into our mouths.

Anyway back to the diet. We decide to just go for it and I started eliminating every bad thing I was putting in my body. I quit smoking, drinking, eating unhealthy foods, and started eating only fruits and vegetables with brown rice. I try to exercise at least a couple times a week and make sure to get 8 hours of sleep a day.

I am creating this blog for the hopeless. For the people who have no where else to turn. For the individuals who refuse to believe that there is "No known cause, no known cure". I don't buy it. I think we are getting taken advantage of by the drug companies. It's time to stand up and figure this out.

For however long it takes me to rid myself of Psoriasis, I will update this blog with pictures and videos as well. I hope that I can help at least one person as well as myself at the same time. I'm sick of living with this. This is my journey.

9 comments:

  1. Wow. Your story starts exactly like mine. I noticed a spot on my scalp when I was 22 took some topicals, but never stressed over it.

    I'm 28 now and my psoriasis has spread out almost exactly like yours, except I have two large spots on my back and a line stretching from my sternum to my belly button.

    My dermatologists tried to get me on Enbrel for years now, but I always rejected the treatment due to the side effects. Instead, UVB light treatment worked for my body and Clobex spray worked for my legs.

    The psoriasis recently came back full force and also spread to my face. I promptly made an appointment with my dermatologist to get on Enbrel or Humira.

    My appointment was last week and my dermatologist recommended Humira. I agreed, but there is a lot of paperwork which has not been completed yet.

    I'm going to try your diet and exercise regime to try an get my condition under control as you did.

    It really is great to know that I'm not alone with this disease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tommy (and Molly!)
    congrats on your eating plan!!! You will see amazing results as time goes on....don't get discouraged by negative comments! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your natural healing plan. You have such an extreme case that you may want to consider using meds (topicals and systemic) to help break this flare and then use more natural means to maintain clearing. Why suffer? It is going to take a long time to see results through diet when you are that severe.

    I have had p all of my life. I eat a very clean diet and work out 5 days a week. I get plenty of sleep. I still have p. I have never noticed a connection between p and my diet. That doesn't mean that it won't work for you though. All of us with p respond to different treatments.

    I am doing pretty well on enbrel now. I am about 75% clear. I would stronly recommend it for someone with a case as severe as yours. Also, you mention having p on your nails. Do you suffer any joint pain? P on the nails is correlated with psoriatic arthritis (PsA). PsA is the chronic inflamatory process of psoriasis affecting the joints. Biologic drugs help stop or slow the sometimes permanent joint damage and loss of mobility caused by PsA.

    Oh, one other (natural)suggestion. Have you ever tried soaking in oil (i.e. canola oil) and then wrapping your oiled up legs in saran wrap overnight? That will help all of the scale come off and should provide some healing and comfort. Once the scale has come off, you can apply meds to the area where the scale has lifted to help treat the area more effectively.

    One other natural suggestion (last one, I promise) is to try Barney's formula. It is a mix of vitamins and suppments including a high dose of vitamin D. Recent scientific research has demonstrated the important role that vitamin D plays in psoriasis (and other inflamitory conditions). You can read about the treatment at http://www.talkpsoriasis.org/showthread.php?t=22725.

    Good luck in your efforts and keep us updated on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certain that you have tried everything in the book, but last week my physician prescribed a new topical medication that can be used in conjunction with other treatments, as well as the good diet (which seems to be helping!) The medication is Vectical and I was also able to get all the information about Vectical right on his own patient education library, www.fromyourdoctor.com/document/vectical-calcitriol.html. If you haven't tried it, it might be worth discussing with your physician.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tommy (and Molly)! I’m so sorry that the doctor you spoke with wasn’t very supportive about your battle plans. I’m glad to know that changing your diet and your lifestyle has done a lot to help you fight your psoriasis. How are you nowadays? I hope you’re doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have your fillings removed. I had psoriasis for 27 years and had all mercury fillings replaced. 7 months after they were all removed I had no psoriasis whatsoever. Mercury is a deadly poison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You didn't do anything else? I'd love to chat with you about your experience, as I'm always desperate to find answers. Would it be OK if I emailed you? I would greatly appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. Get the mercury out of your mouths! This is a big pharma racket. They give mercury poison out in fillings and vaccinations, then claim they don't know what's wrong.
    http://mercuryconspiracy.blogspot.com/p/mercury-and-heroic-age-of-medicine.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://mercuryconspiracy.blogspot.com/p/who-is-eli-lilly.html

    ReplyDelete